Why Dual Immersion?
Dual Immersion (DI) programs have proven effective for a wide variety of students. Research studies indicate that the achievement of high levels of functional proficiency in a second language associated with DI instruction yields the following benefits for all students:
- Enhanced levels of meta-linguistic awareness (i.e., knowledge of how language works) which has proven to be important to reading acquisition.
- Improved performance versus monolingual students on tasks that call for divergent thinking, pattern recognition and problem solving.
- Additional knowledge and understanding of one’s native language.
- Greater understanding, tolerance, appreciation and respect for other languages and cultures.
- Ability to communicate with other ethnic and cultural groups.
- Ability to take advantage of opportunities that are available only in other languages.
- Enhanced employment opportunities once school is completed.
Benefits to Native Language Speakers
10 Reasons for Being in an Immersion Program
- To acquire a second language
- To have a greater capacity for listening
- To think more creatively and analytically
- To develop better communication skills
- To express enthusiasm and have an aptitude for problem solving
- To have a greater awareness of self and others
- To gain insights into other cultures
- To unify staff and students in creating a shared linguistic community
- To provide access to a greater part of the world
- To take advantage of the optimal time to learn a language and develop an appreciation and understanding of diverse cultures, peoples, and perspectives in the world
These are just a few of the many reasons we love Edison Language Academy!